Friday, May 7, 2010

Welcome to my blog!

I will be using this blog to document my trials and tribulations in starting a new career as an art educator. I am a former art director and freelance designer from NYC. After moving to NJ and starting a family I came to the realization that I wanted to move on to a new career. I knew I was knowledgeable in art techniques, art history and materials. I have worked in and managed a few art retail stores in my time, devoted my education to fine art, and had a design career. I knew I loved children and could communicate well and guide them.

Two summers ago I decided to pursue the Alternate Route program here in NJ to become an art teacher. I passed my Praxis exam with flying colors and suddenly we entered into the worst economic recession in decades! Needless to say, budgets have been cut, and jobs have been scarce. I found myself hanging in the balance of "can't get the teaching job without the experience, can't get the experience without the teaching job." I also got a taste of the bureaucratic abyss that a career in education can be.

Finally, with no prospects in sight, my husband said to me, "you know, if you want to teach art, why not just start teaching art!" We had recently renovated my art/craft studio and knew it would be a suitable place to teach small classes. So I embarked on a small business to give art lessons from my home, to test out class room practices, lesson plans, and being in command of a room of young students, while giving them freedom to express themselves and make their class time fun and productive! So begin My Adventures in Positive Space!


Check out my companion blog/site at: positivespaceart.blogspot.com

No comments: